As the seasons change and daylight savings “ falls back”, it’s common to feel sad and lonely. The shorter days and longer nights give us less time to be in the sun, and less chances to be active and socialize. It’s no wonder so many people get the blues.
Easy ways to stay positive and be happier this season:
- Open the curtains and sit near a window. The sunlight provides vitamins and warmth.
- Meditate. Take a few moments to breathe deeply, and relax your mind and body.
- Keep your normal schedule. It can be tempting to stay in bed when the sun isn’t shining, but it’s important to get up and moving as you would during the warmer months.
- Spend some time outdoors. Take a walk, or simply sit outside and enjoy the fresh air.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with lean proteins, fruits and vegetables.
- Get physical activity 30 minutes a day, three times a week.
- Start a project. Working on a large puzzle, holiday crafts or a home project that will keep you engaged is a great way to beat the blues.
- Stay involved with hobbies, church or other social activities. Keep your mind active, and get valuable time with friends.
It’s also helpful to reach out to family and friends. Sometimes, something as simple as a phone call to a loved one can make a huge difference.
Still feeling a little down? It’s okay. Your plan covers a 24-hour nurse hotline, as well as a variety of mental health services. Visit allwell.absolutetotalcare.com/documents to check out your plan materials or call Member Services if you have any questions about your benefits.
Send us an email with your thoughts on this topic.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to sign your name as you would want it to appear in the newsletter; for example, Susan D., Little Rock, AR. Your story, idea or tip may be shared in an upcoming edition of the Be Well Bulletin.
Allwell will always honor and protect your privacy.
Enjoy the perfect blend of fall flavors with this hearty, simple recipe.
Autumn Harvest Casserole
- 1.5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 c. cooked wild rice
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 2 apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large baking/casserole dish with olive oil.
- In a large pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden and cooked through, 6-8 minutes per side, then cut into small pieces.
- Add butter and sweet potatoes. Season with thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice, chicken, and cranberries.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish, top with thinly sliced apple. Bake 20 minutes.